Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Creational Quibble from a Saved Steward

Kevin, I'd like to quibble with the last paragraph there (of course I would! When do I not enjoy a good quibble)?

Although Christ will most assuredly make a new creation, are you sure that the sentence "Christ died to redeem creation" is entirely biblical?

What Christ Does with Creation v.s. What Christ Does with Christian
It seems to me that what Rom 8:18-23 says is "Christ subjected creation to futility until He is done redeeming--soul and body--those for whom He died. But, when that is complete, He will release the creation by making it to enjoy the glorious freedom of those children of God."  
[edit: in the absence of a "read more" link on this blog, please click this post's title to read the rest of it]

In fact, the new creation will be so great and different that one of 1Cor 15's arguments for our bodily resurrection is that our current flesh and blood can't even inherit what the new creation will be. As different as a kernel of corn from a great corn stalk.

Isn't the Bible's view, then, a rather different thing than "Christ died to redeem creation"?

How the Cross Drives Creation Care
Now, I'm not against stewardship. In fact, I'm for stewardship that is cross-centered. I know that phrase has been beaten into the ground, but hear me out. Every man ought to look at the creation and say, "God made me, and God gave me this, and God made me for the purpose of serving Him in this, so I will steward it as well as possible to His glory."

But what does the Christian uniquely say? The Christian uniquely says, "I have de-merited all of this. I deserve no good thing whatsoever. Every particle of good I receive has been earned at the incalculable cost of the blood of Christ. How then can I do anything less with all of these good things than steward them eagerly, vigorously, cheerfully, carefully, and diligently?"

Blood-Bought Stewards Ought to Be the Best
In short, the transformed man who is rapt with the merit and love of Christ in everything that he sees should be the best steward of creation this world has ever known.

The creation is waiting with eager longing for those men to be revealed.

0 comments:

Followers

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP